In spite of writing many articles on how to improve English speaking skills, I do not feel happy about the student community. As a senior teacher of English I think that it is my responsibility to share my views and experiences with the students those who are really interested to develop or improve their English language speaking skills.
Let me share my experiences about learning English—
- Do you know I studied in Telugu medium that to in Government schools and Colleges but now discharging my duties as a Senior Lecturer in English? You will be surprised more if I tell you that I scored average percentages in my studies.
- You might wonder then how did I learn English – Learning English is really very easy for your kind information. Yes! I tell you learning English is really easy!!
Some Hints for improving your English speaking skills:
- Speak in English with someone who is good at English or at least with your classmate who is really aspiring for becoming a good speaker. While speaking you will struggle a lot, of course it is quite common that you will struggle; but don’t bother about it – keep on talking in English, English, only in English with the people whom you consider good at English speaking.
- Learn some very important topics in English Grammar such as –
1. Tenses in English.
2. How to ask/put questions.
5. Passive Voice.
6. Indirect Speech.
7. Some required Verb forms for day-to-day conversations.
By learning these seven topics or concepts perfectly you can speak English almost fluently.
- Buy children novels and read them. Find out the sentences are constructed there carefully. With this observation you will gain a very good idea on sentence formation in English.
- When you are learning English, reading is one of the most important skills to develop. Shall I tell you one secret tip to learn English very easily is – read and by heart the situational dialogues and conversations by purchasing some specified books. Learning English in the form of dialogues is a best technique to gain command over it.
- Spend your time with the people who speak good English. Listen very carefully the words and sentences that they speak.
- If you think too much about what you are going to say, it will make you more nervous. So start with simple English. But if you just speak simple sentences you won't feel too pressured and you will feel more confident.
- Before speaking a sentence, try to form it correctly in your mind first slowly. It may take some time in the initial stage but in course of time you will speak fast.
Note: A small appeal to my dear students! Please be practical in your life. In this article I have offered you some valuable tips. After reading them try to put them in practice without fail so that you will succeed with in no time.
I wish you all the very best in your endeavour.
Byreddy Balaji Reddy,
Senior Lecturer in English,
JNTUA College of Engineering,